The Fruitcake Special is the story if the effects of a perfume on men. It was accidentally created by Anna, a chemist. When Mr Amos gets a whiff of the perfume he feels he is in love with Anna and so invites her out for dinner. He does not behave like a man in love and Anna is surprised and upset. When she wears the Fruitcake perfume again, Mr Amos and a waiter become enticed and both make declarations of love to her. The situation become chaotic when a fight ensues between two men.
- Illusion vs Reality
- Be realistic in life
- Appearances can be misleading
- We should not be taken in flattery.
- We must not be too proud of our looks.
- We must not belittle other people.
- EXPOSITION – Anna creates a Fruitcake perfume and dabs on it. Mr Amos becomes intoxicated with her when he gets a whiff of it. Anna is very surprise with this sudden interest.
- CONFLICT – During dinner, Mr Amos is not as attentive as he was in the morning. Anna dabs on the Fruitcake perfume in the ladies room.
- CLIMAX – Mr Amos becomes enamoured and makes declarations of love to her. A waiter also makes love declarations to her. A fight starts between Mr Amos, the waiter and Sabrina, Mr Amos’ girlfriend. Anna realises it is the effects of the fruitcake perfume.
- FALLING ACTION – Anna wants to find the ‘special something’ in the fruitcake but is unable to.
- RESOLUTION – Anna resigns from Amos Cosmetics and she settles for the pizza delivery man, Armstrong, who has his own pizza company.
- Main characters
- Anna, the narrator
- David Amos, owner of Amos Cosmetics
- Minor characters
- Narrator’s mother
- Narrator’s Aunt Mimi
- Waiter at restaurant
- Sabina, David Amos’ girlfriend
- Armstrong, the pizza delivery man
- First person point of view
- Light-hearted and humorous
- Comedic and entertaining
- Simple and easy to understand the language